Rules of Handshake Etiquette
There is a set of Handshake Etiquette Rules, which can be considered common rules in all societies. In this article, we are not going to discuss the Handshake Etiquette Rules according to geographical areas; we rather hereby focus on the most common Handshake Etiquette Rules:
- Standing Handshake: Handshake between two standing people, if one of them is sitting, he/ she shall stand up before shaking hands, to express respect for the other person. So if you are sitting while initiating handsaw with the other, you shall rise before extending your hand, which shows respect and puts you on the same level with the other person.
- Eye Communication: Try to communicate with your eyes, where eye communication is one the most techniques that provide the other with necessary attention and love, therefore eye communication is certainly one of the major Conversation Etiquette rules.
- Gentle Smile: Handshake must be accompanied by a gentle smile between people, which is one of the most effective rules of handshake, so handshake achieves its desired objective, which is to increase respect, communication, and affection. Smile is the best tool to deliver that message.
- Moderation of Handshake: You are not supposed to show a limp hand because it gives the impression of weakness. However, this does not mean you should crush the other person’s hand. Be firm but not too powerful, weak hand shows a non-caring person, while powerful hand shows some sort of aggressive behavior.
- Avoid handshake during food or smoking: Smoker shall stop smoking before shaking hands, as handshake with a cigarette is considered a lack of respect, it may give a reverse message to the intended purpose of handshake.